Thursday 8 November 2012

Not my usual post but a review I did on Tumblr for a really good gig I went to so I thought I'd put it on here anyway.


Secrets, Memphis May Fire and OM&Men Electric Ballroom Camden 10/10/2012
I’ve been to lots of gigs in my time but this was one of the best. The Electric Ballroom was a great venue a good size but retaining the intimacy of a smaller venue.
‘Secrets’ opened the set and as they started playing the floor filled quickly and the moshpit was as furious as you’d usually expect from later in the set. Everyone there was ‘up for it’ without a doubt. ‘Secrets’ set was fantastic, the band were great performers and began the evening with a bang.
Next up and after a soundcheck worth mentioning “Shit one two..Shit Shit Shit one two one two..” Memphis May Fire leaped on Stage and Matty Mullins appeared to a roar, the hands were in the air..and a few bodies too. They were awesome, the whole crowd sang and screamed every lyric to ‘Vices.’ ‘The Victim’ opened the pit up which at one point nearly took over the whole floor. At this point it was Insane in a really fucking good way. Matty Mullins was just perfect. This is a good start to their tour.
This was the first time I had seen any of these bands live and after Memphis I had no idea what to expect from the headline act. The gig was one of my best ever already.
I moved forward in anticipation of the arrival of the next band.
Of Mice &Men were greeted with a wave of screams and an utter outpouring of love that I’ve only witnessed at stadium and festival gigs. The London crowd drank Austin onto the stage who presented upwards in a halo of smoke and light. I don’t have many words for the rest of the night. Austin and the band give absolutely everything they have when they are on Stage and they expect the fans to give their all…and we bloody did.
Austin insisted that every single one of us got down on our knees for ‘The Depths’ the only time for a minute or two that the pit dissolved into a sea of people on their knees and the tall iconic figure of Austin towered over us…the song raged the crowd launched up and the frenzy resumed.
“One more song! One more song!” was the chant. We all knew what was coming when they came back on. “This is your song, this is your fucking song. I want you and you and you and fucking all of you to sing it” So we did. ‘Second and Sebring’ pulled me to the front of the crowd and that song that has such personal lyrics resonated with everyone in that room.
The UK loves these bands. Fans in the UK are like no other. The lights came on and the bruised and a bit bloodied crowd left. It doesn’t get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment