Tuesday 31 March 2015

Is Procrastination contagious?


If there is one thing that I can do well, it's procrastinate. I'm not kidding, I am literally the master of this. I've made it into an art form, a way of life, an hilarious aside from the absolute low it can cause.
And today, I superseded any 'Best Procrastinator' world record, because I passed it on. I passed it on in the same way that I do love, smiles, kindness. But maybe also in the same way I could pass on a cold, a quick sneeze.I did it as a joke, a chat, a giggle.

Now, I know it's time to stop.
I'm a starter, a brain stormer. I'm the best person to get a project going, to get the ideas flowing, to give people good ideas and to think differently. I'm inspiring. I make my friends happy and the people I meet. I give such good advice and seriously love the hell out of the world and everything in it. I give everyone the motivation, apart from me of course. I have fifteen blog posts in the draft section on here and haven't posted because of 'time' or 'research' or any one of the billion excuses I have saved in my 'procrastinators handbook' (which funnily enough I haven't got round to writing).

Today, I persuaded one of my very, very best friends on this earth, to not do something that she absolutely really, seriously, absolutely and properly MUST do. I did it in about three sentences. I passed on something that literally at times has ruined my life to the point of having one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had which ironically, maybe, took place on this very best friend's bedroom floor.

I've given my friend, someone I care about beyond myself, an excuse to carry on doing something that makes her unhappy! Why would I do that?

Of course I didn't do it on purpose, I wouldn't. I'm not sure where it came from, I think I was empathising but instead of putting myself in her shoes 'when the job is finished' which she would always do for me, I put myself in the shoes of 'what a daunting task that is'.
She decided there and then, in the light of what I said, to not do it, for all the reasons I had joked about.

I've changed a lot lately, I've made lists, goals, and actually achieved them. I've changed my mindset about a lot of the stuff that has sent me crazy over the last 30 odd years, but, the habit is still there, and I'm passing it on. Procrastination is a double edged sword, to be fair. I have gained some genuinely good skills. Give me an hour to do something, or an emergency situation, I'm on it. I'm good. I've had lots of practice. I can focus and achieve in that situation. Give me a month, you're pushing it, give me three.....no chance:)

So, to my friend.

"You must do that job. If you don't, you will be unhappy. I want you to be as happy as you can be. I will help you do that job because it will be fun if we do it together."

If I'm going to live in the 'now' and get to where I'm headed, I want everyone around me to feel the same.

Like The Stuff on Facebook HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment